A Day In My Life


Saturday, December 09, 2006

El Viernes y Sábado

Sorry for the long absence but beautiful spain has been eating up lots of my time. Then again there were just those times where you are just uninterested to blog at all.

It's already been almost a week but I'll just blog about what i did sometime last week. There was this huge sandwich holiday in spain this week so we made a 'out of madrid' trip on wednesday which i'll blog about that real soon.



Last Friday, we had dinner at this beautiful chinese restaurant aptly named Restaurante Royal Fenix. There is no spelling error here as it was seriously spelt FENIX and not PHOENIX. I kind of burst out laughing when I first saw it.



When I went, I was rather surprised. The place looked really nice unlike other horrible chinese restaurants i've seen though this is the first that i've eaten in. They decorated the place nicely in a modern like way. Best of all was how they placed hundreds of paraguas as in umbrellas on the ceiling. Light would have to pass through these red paraguas thus creating this gloomy reddish effect in the resto. Unique deciration if you ask me.



I must add that I absolutely love the design of the chairs they used. The cloth used was just so attractive I wanted to bring a chair home. They made the chairs look cheap though coz they attached hooks behind them. You must look at it to understand. Before I forget, they have a rather attractive bar as well.



As for the food, it ain't that good compared to the chinese food in kl. Even my mum cooks better than them. Not only was the food not tasty, it was bloody expensive. I can't really blame them coz they have to cater to the taste buds of the local madrileños. They generally like their food sweet. The tip for chinese visiting spain is to avoid all chinese food here.



We ordered ice-cream for dessert which came in a effing cute cup. My mum liked it so much she even asked the owner where she bought the cup. Silly of me to be eating ice-cream in cold winter ..



As we were in a rather big group, they gave us two free bottles of Freixenet Cava. Cava is kind of some Spanish variety of alcohol. It wasn't that bad and it was very nice of them. Needless to say, I drank about three glasses.

We were all belanja-ed by Miss May, the Welfare Officer at the Oficina Laboral and Merlyn. Miss May's one really nice lady and its certainly not just because she paid for dinner. It's hard to explain but yeah she's really friendly and nice to talk to. Merlyn is Miss May's assistant she brought along from Manila. She even invited the Pang family which is one of our friends in Spain.


L-R : Veronica, Merlyn, Miss May, Mum, Sis, Me, Step-dad, Felipe, Mr. Pang, Fernando

I met the Pang family last year. They're a Chinese-Filipino-Spanish family. Mr. Pang who is a Chinese came from Hong Kong to Spain many many years ago. He's a wonderful cook and once opened a chinese resto here in madrid. Mr.Pang married Veronica, a Filipina he met here. They've stayed here all this while and have two sons, Fernando and Felipe.


You might wonder why I say that they're a Spanish family but they don't a speak a word of any other language but Spanish to each other. We speak english to all of them except Mr. Pang who speaks cantonese. Since we don't know much canto chinese in spain, Mr. Pang's like me and my sis's grandpa in Spain. We call him kong kong while my mum and step-dad calls him Papa Pang. =)

They're very nice to us. Always inviting us for dinner and stuff. Not to forget, they even presented a plaque thing during my step-dad's farewell party which stated like "Familia en España" meaning Family in Spain. How sweet of them.

Proceeding to the next day, there was yet another important event. It was the Deeparaya celebration of the Malaysian Embassy here. It would also be the 1st anniversary of the Malaysian Association in Spain (MAIS). The celebration comes really late coz Deeparaya already like passed more than a month ago.



Everyone who went was supposed to bring a dish of their choice so my mum brought 4 steamed fishes and it was a definite hit particularly among the spanish who attended. Their cuisine does not have anything similar to it. The curry was rather welll received too.



There was generally just lots of socializing involved as always. I would say there was about 60 people who attented the event at the embassy. I wasn't really interested in the malaysian food so I ate a little. When we were bored, me and my sis went out to the building's fire escape. It had really nice sights and was preety windy. With such nice sights, we had some camwhoring done. Haha



One of the highlights of the event was when Datuk gave his speech. He announced that he would be retiring soon, going back to kl. Furthermore, he informed everyone of the resignation of my mum as MAIS President. My mum was awarded a certificate of appreciation and was given a personal gift from Datuk and Datin, some bell they bought when they were assigned in Nepal. I was really proud of my mum at that moment.


L-R : With Datuk Yusof and Datin Niki

I must mention that me and my sis met someone new there. It was this 14 year old guy named Alex whose malaysian mother is married to a spanish man. It was actually my sister who desperately wanted to know him. She was almost begging to know the 'hot' guy but she didn't say much to him when we were talking. Haha



I did most of the talking and found that he kind of loved computer games. He's a gamer type of person. It was good that he spoke fluent english. Another thing worth mentioning was his height for a 14 year old. I so envy him. I feel short ... blek



When everything was over, a few of us went to Latheral, the bar across the street from the embassy for some drinks. It was my second time there but I must say that I like that bar for some reason. Look how unique those
colourful vodka bottles look.

That's all for this post. I'll be posting about our trip to Salamanca and Avila as soon as possible.

-adios.hasta luego-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home