A Day In My Life


Sunday, March 04, 2007

On Screen Success

Exam terror is around the corner again. More studying and late nights to come for me indeed. Considering its our third last school term exam ever maybe there is some delight to it after all. Another term exam, the trials and *poof* it became koko crunch SPM comes. 3 alphabets to strike fear in the eyes of every form 5 in the country.

Time does pass fast considering it's already the 3rd month of the year giving us only another 8 months or so to literally prep ourselves up for SPM. It seemed barely yesterday that I came back from spain and started school again. Wish me luck for everything that's coming up.

Something weird, funny and maybe inspirational took place for 5L-ians last week. Gnerally, leong collects our diaries every month or so for her checking pleasure I guess. This time around it all came back with angpau's in it. My first impression was like she must have striked the lottery for this sudden surprise but it was still chinese new year. Still she wasn't married. It turns out that every angpau contained some sort of advice/message personally from her mind and soul. Guess what I got ..

"Brandon, i only find out that u'r very cute in this year =) U'r a smart boy, i hope u'll get straight A in SPM. Wish u've a good year .. "

Confusing as it may be, it looks like a whole mix-up of insults, encouragement and praise. I mean what's with - 'very cute this year'. Seems so wrong. Clearly she doesn't know me well based on the message which is very vivid. Mind you that all the grammatical mistakes ie. find as well as the smileys are as written on that piece of paper.

Moving on, both my mum and step-dad are finally in beirut, lebanon. My mum left madrid on the 1st sadly but I have yet to hear from her since she called from the airport. Hopefully she hasn't been gunned down. Haha

Believe it or not, I actually spent 4 hours of my life watching the Oscars last week. Wonderful show overall with ellen degeneres being one of the most entertaining yet spontaneous hosts i've seen. Wasn't truly happy with some of the winners but it wasn't as bad as last year's.

Here's a rundown of the main award recipients ..

Best Motion Picture - The Departed



Frankly, I found this movie really boring. I feel asleep watching it on the bus trip to pangkor last year. I know its the remake of internal affairs but I think we asians make better kick ass movies related to triads. I think less talk and more action's the key. Maybe i'll have to rewatch this dreadful movie. Even Babel or The Queen deserved this award better.

Best Lead Actor - Forest Whitaker (Last King of Scotland)



Haven't heard much about this guy but I guess his acting must be good which also means his movie is a must watch. Still downloading on my comp. The only skill I can think of from him is speaking with a almost pure african accent throughout the movie. Try it if you think it's easy. He played the character of Adi Amin, a Ugandan dictator. He has a really hot wife. =)

Best Lead Actress - Helen Mirren (The Queen)



She has won every single award she was nominated in this year for her interesting yet controversial role as Queen Elizabeth II. She just suits the character 100% coz i dun think i can find another actress who looks like the real queen so much with or without make up. I've watched half the movie and she totally emulated every aspect Queen Elizabeth has to offer. Sadly Penelope Cruz didn't win for Volver.

Best Supporting Actor - Alan Arkin (Little Miss Sunshine)



This came as a big surprise since he was up against actors like Eddie Murphy and Mark Wahlberg. Played the drug addicted, fowl mouthed grandfather in Little Miss Sunshine which to me is one really amusing movie to watch. I still remember him telling his 16 year old mute grandson to "fuck all the women you want". I'm serious ..

Best Supporting Actress - Jennifer Hudson (Dreamgirls)



Many may still remember her from her American Idol days but I didn't till someone told me. She is like the newest thing Simon and gang can probably boast about. I wanna watch Dreamgirls before the cinemas stop showing it here. There's Beyonce in it too. Pretty great achievement for her since dreamgirls is like the first production she's ever been in.

I was unhappy over the fact that Volver didn't grab the award for best foreign language film. Pedro Almodovar is such a great director. At least Inconvenient Truth won best documentary. Hope I do well in my exams ...

-adios y hasta luego-

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • Good for people to know.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home